What is the Professional Development Fund Program?
Twice a year, MMA will award professional development funding to members. The purpose of these funds is to provide resources and support for members who wish to further develop and improve their supervisory skill set. They are also designed to help members stay current with best practices in their field and expand their knowledge to continue serving as excellent service providers in supervision and areas of expertise.
Who is Eligible:
Current MMA full members are eligible to apply.
- The professional development fund has an annual total disbursement of up to $30,000.
- Funds per member, per year, may be in any amount not to exceed $1500.00.
What is Covered:
- Funds must be used towards professional development activities of the supervisor applying.
- Lodging, meals, mileage, shuttles/taxi, airfare, and registration fees. Members must provide explanation as to why their agency cannot provide funding.
- Certifications that are directly related or relevant to the applicant's current position.
What is Not Covered:
- Tuition reimbursement and college courses are not eligible for reimbursement. Members may apply for the MMA Scholarship for this purpose.
- Hobby-related activities
- Association fees
- Eligible members must submit an application by the due dates (June 1 and December 1).
- Recipient will be responsible for providing all required information requested by the committee or fund eligibility may be forfeited.
- The Professional Development Committee will oversee the review process of applications. They will attempt to award the grants within 3 weeks of stated deadlines. Plan your applications accordingly.
- Professional development activity requests must be related to the applicant’s current position.
- Applicants must provide a written rationale stating how the activity will help them grow professionally.
- Committee members who wish to apply for funds will not be allowed to review applications for that round.
- Members may request funds to support one professional development activity per year.
- It is the responsibility of the member to request paid educational leave from MMB if applicable.
- Costs associated with the activity will follow per diems as stated in the MMA contract.
- Funds will be paid directly to the supervisor for reimbursement once the training or event is completed and all forms (such as a business expense sheet with actual expenses and receipts) have been submitted.
- The approved professional development activity must be scheduled, occur and reimbursement forms submitted before the next grant cycle round is awarded.
- Priority will be given to those who have not been awarded Professional Development Funds in the past.
Cycle 1: The deadline to apply for funds is June 1, 2019 for professional development activities that take place between July 1, 2019 and December 31, 2019.
Cycle 2: Deadline is December 1, 2019 for January 1, 2020 – June 30, 2020.
APPLICATIONS RECEIVED IN THE MMA OFFICE AFTER 4:30 PM ON JUNE 1, 2019 OR DECEMBER 1 2019 WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. NOTE: IF DEADLINE FALLS ON A SATURDAY OR SUNDAY, APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL 4:30 PM ON THE FOLLOWING BUSINESS DAY.
The Professional Development Committee will review all applications and winners will be selected based on scores from the applications. All decisions are final.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION.