The paid parental leave benefit went into effect on Tuesday, November 16th after the Legislature's Subcommittee on Employee Relations failed to act when they met on Monday, November 15th. Here's what you need to know:
- The benefit is now available for any state employee who has given birth or adopted a child since July 1, 2016.
- The benefit covers both parents if they are both state employees.
- The benefit provides up to six weeks of paid parental leave, not subtracted from vacation or sick leave.
- MMA employees are eligible for the benefit as MMA signed a Memorandum of Agreement.
- The benefit plan will need to be voted on and approved by the full legislature this spring in order for it to remain in effect.
- If the legislature fails to approve the benefit this spring employees who received the benefit will not be required to pay back the state.
You can read more about this benefit here.